Location: Remote. Candidates must be located between UTC-8 and UTC+2 time zones.
Hypothesis is seeking a Data Engineer to join our engineering team. The person hired in this role will help build data pipelines that transform raw data into formats usable by downstream applications and customers, to serve analytical, operations, and business use cases. Join us as we extend what the web can do.
You can learn more about our engineering hiring process here.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small mission driven, public benefit startup with strong financial backing. Our goal is to bring standards-based collaboration and conversation to the web at scale. We are currently ramping up to respond to high demand from stakeholders across the education and research marketplace as the world shifts permanently to a remote-first workflow.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
In this role, you will work closely with business stakeholders and the engineering team to meet the data requirements of various teams and customers. You will focus on solving for user needs by contributing primarily to backend systems and services. You will collaborate with our site reliability engineers to determine the best strategy for data management and consumption. The following is a sampling of the technologies we currently use:
- Python, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Docker
This role reports to the Director of Engineering
You will be successful at Hypothesis if you:
- Demonstrate proficiency with dynamic languages like Python
- Demonstrate proficiency with SQL, data modelling and patterns.
- Demonstrate proficiency in big data processing and with data pipeline tools
- Have experience with the integration of data storage solutions using databases such as Postgres
- Your documentation and verbal communication skills are excellent, and you’re able to collaborate and rally support with people on and off your team.
- Have experience with remote work and understand the importance of good time management, self-motivation, and self-discipline as a remote worker.
Does this sound interesting? Drop us a line to tell us what about this role intrigues you and why you think you would be great for Hypothesis. Resumes are helpful, but so are examples of your recent work. We can’t wait to hear from you!
How to apply
If you want to apply or ask questions before applying, please contact us at email@example.com.
Hypothesis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.