Location: Remote. Candidates must be located between UTC-6 and UTC+2 time zones.
Hypothesis is seeking a Site Reliability Engineer with a Platform Engineering bias to join our product delivery team and lead our work to help us build efficient, reliable, secure, and scalable infrastructure and code. This role combines the activities of development and site reliability engineering to ensure Hypothesis technologies and services support our vision of a world where annotation is as common as comments, but more useful and engaging. Join us as we extend what the web can do.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small mission driven startup with financial backing from leading investors who share our vision. We are ramping up to respond to high demand from stakeholders across the education marketplace. We work with educators, schools and publishers to bring new, innovative capabilities and workflows over digital content.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the SRE / Platform Engineer leads the work to build, document and maintain our next generation service delivery platform. You will bring core competencies and expert understanding in deploying and automating the delivery of containerized workloads at scale. Your skill set will be used to help expand the capabilities of our existing Site Reliability Engineering team to ensure the stability, reliability and future growth of our organization.
- Provision infrastructure and tooling required to deliver our next generation service delivery platform.
- Deliver containerized workloads at scale.
- Build automated tooling to configure and maintain our platform and services with an eye for consistency and repeatability.
- Identify and solve complex scaling problems.
- Document environments and tooling so the whole team can understand.
- Work within our Site Reliability team to ensure consistent delivery of our applications.
Skills and experience you possess
- You have experience developing enterprise grade solutions that are used at scale.
- You have experience working with Development and Site Reliability teams.
- You are knowledgeable about containerization and next generation cloud computing.
- You have an aptitude for solving complex problems.
- You understand the ins and outs of AWS, Linux, Terraform, Containerization and a host of other technologies well enough to teach others.
- You can comfortably operate from the CLI.
- You are proficient with a programming language like Python, Java or Ruby.
- You are familiar with security best practices.
- Your documentation and verbal communication skills are excellent, and you’re able to collaborate and rally support with people on and off your team.
- You are inclined to automate, but can discern when automation isn’t the best solution and present alternatives.
- You’ve worked with continuous integration and deployment systems, and have ideas about how to build and improve them.
- You strongly believe in the importance of security, and enjoy the idea of partnering with engineers to ensure the integrity of our customers’ data.
- You have experience with remote work and understand the importance of good time management, self-motivation, and self-discipline as a remote worker.
- Ideally have experience working within on-premise environments.
- You are willing to participate in an on-call rotation.
You are someone who loves problem solving. You value simplicity over complexity. You take great satisfaction in helping others be more successful and productive and wouldn’t think to move on without documenting your work so 6-months-from-now you (or anybody else for that matter) can drop back in and understand it. We are interested in someone who wants to help everyone around them better understand how to operate software at scale and who is eager to take on the responsibilities outlined for this role.
You will be successful at Hypothesis if you:
- Love learning new things,
- Unafraid to ask questions,
- Are committed to improving both as a technologist and a human being,
- Are tenacious, self-directed, and highly motivated,
- Enjoy helping others around you grow as developers and be successful,
- Communicate clearly and effectively (this is especially important in a remote organization), and
- Approach your work with a mindset that allows for growth and change.
Does this sound interesting? Drop us a line to tell us what about this role intrigues you and why you think you would be great for Hypothesis. Resumes are helpful, but so are examples of your recent work. We can’t wait to hear from you!
How to apply
If you want to apply or ask questions before applying, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hypothesis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.