Location: Remote. Candidates must be located between UTC-5 and UTC+2 time zones.
Hypothesis is seeking a Senior Frontend Developer to join our product delivery team. The person hired for this role will work with the product delivery team to develop and ensure delivery of Hypothesis technologies and services in support of our vision; to bring a conversation over all knowledge. Join us as we extend what the web can do.
Learn more about our engineering hiring process.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small mission-driven startup with financial backing from leading investors who share our vision. We are ramping up to respond to high demand from stakeholders across the education marketplace. We work with educators, schools and publishers to bring new, innovative capabilities and workflows over digital content.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and have helped to create standards for annotation. Our engineering values guide our team to work collaboratively and effectively with each other. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
In this role, you will help build web applications and infrastructure to support annotation of web pages and other media. You will focus on solving user needs by contributing to the frontend codebase.
The following is a sampling of the technologies we currently use (if you’re already familiar, great, but please don’t take these as prerequisites):
- Python, Pyramid, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch
- AWS, Docker, Ansible
This role reports to the Director of Engineering.
You are someone who loves problem solving. You value simplicity over complexity. You take great satisfaction in helping others be successful and productive, and wouldn’t think to move on without documenting your work so 6-months-from-now you (or anybody else for that matter) can drop back in and understand it. You’re a self starter, an excellent communicator, and a team player.
Skills and experience you possess
- A solid understanding of the web platform and how browsers work
- Experience building rich web applications using current technologies (eg React, Vue, ES6+)
- Familiarity with architectural patterns and tools used to build modern web applications
- Experience profiling and debugging web applications
- Experience working with developers of open source projects to resolve bugs or make improvements
- Your documentation and verbal communication skills are excellent, and you’re able to collaborate and rally support with people on and off your team
- You have productive habits, healthy process awareness, and good teamwork skills and instincts
- You have good communication and documentation skills.
- Experience providing guidance around frontend best practices, and proposing and exploring new frameworks/libraries for teams.
You will thrive at Hypothesis if you
- Love learning new things
- Are committed to improving both as a technologist and a human being
- Are tenacious, self-directed, and highly motivated
- Have strong problem-solving skills
- Have led collaborations with business and technology teams to develop FE applications
- Have excellent, people-friendly written and verbal skills
- Are as adept at collaborating with designers as you are with backend developers
- Enjoy helping others around you grow as developers and be successful
- Communicate clearly and effectively
- Are naturally inclined to proactively document your code as part of your development process.
- Approach your work with a mindset that allows for growth and change
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, your resume, and examples of your work (whether code, writing, or anything else that you think is relevant as a developer) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hypothesis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.