Associate Customer Support Engineer
Location: Remote with preference given to candidates between UTC+2 and UTC-8
Hypothesis is seeking to add an Associate Customer Support Engineer to join our growing support team. You’ll help us meet the rapidly expanding demand from academic institutions, departments, faculty and students for our digital annotation tool that facilitates close reading and deep discussion in learning environments. This key customer-facing role is responsible for user support, technical onboarding, and documentation to ensure that our users and partners have a seamless experience and are delighted by their use of Hypothesis products.
To be successful in this position, the individual must be both a human-centered problem solver and a deeply curious technical troubleshooter. While technical skills are critical, the ability to forge relationships with the users of Hypothesis is equally important. We are a trusted resource and collaborator to our diverse community of annotators.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small edtech start-up company with rapidly growing use across the education marketplace. We work with educators, schools and publishers to bring new, innovative capabilities and workflows over digital content.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and entrepreneurs working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
As an Associate Customer Support Engineer you will often be the first point of contact when a user reaches out with an issue or technical question. Your communication skills, empathy, and technical product knowledge will be essential in troubleshooting and solving problems, identifying root causes, building meaningful and usable documentation, and engaging with our users to understand their needs and communicate them back to other Hypothesis teams.
You will work closely with members of the success and sales teams to help ensure that users have the best experience possible with Hypothesis, contributing positively to the company’s overall sales cycle and client success processes.
You will also work closely with members of the product and developer teams to capture and document bugs, generate feature requests, understand usability issues, test product updates, and communicate changes and improvements back to our users.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing and responding to user support requests across multiple channels (ticket inbox, Slack, Twitter, and more)
- Troubleshooting and identifying solutions to issues reported by Hypothesis users and partner organizations
- Guiding partners through the technical implementation process to ensure successful installation of our app
- Contributing documentation to help expand internal and external knowledge of Hypothesis technologies and practices
- Gathering support statistics and helping identify feature requests for product and service improvements based on end user experience
- Engaging deeply and directly with Hypothesis technologies to investigate and resolve issues working with product delivery team members and documentation
This role reports to the Vice President, Education.
You understand that user support is human-centered. Though you are technically adept and deeply comfortable navigating and existing in a digital world, you also possess a keen understanding of how people interact with technology. You are able to connect with users and ease and deepen their use of, and relationship with, Hypothesis while solving technical issues.
Skills and experience you possess:
- At least 3 years of experience providing direct technical support to users – prior ed-tech or SaaS environments preferred
- A plus if you have familiarity with Learning Management Systems, the Learning Tools Interoperability and other relevant standards
You will be successful at Hypothesis if you:
- Are passionate about technology
- Are self-directed and and highly motivated
- Are committed to excellence and improvement
- Are approachable and collaborative and excel at building relationships
- Have previous remote work experience
- Have strong time management skills
- Have strong problem-solving skills
- Can communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and customers
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your resume and a cover letter telling us why you’re a great fit for this role and what about working at Hypothesis appeals to you to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hypothesis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.