Business Development Representative
Location: Remote with preference given to candidates between UTC-8 and UTC+2
Hypothesis is seeking an experienced Business Development Representative to immediately join our growing team to address rapidly expanding demand from academic institutions, departments, faculty and students. Our social annotation tool empowers students to highlight, comment and discuss digital texts, improving teaching and learning by impacting the quantity and quality of student reading, facilitating collaboration, and providing instructors and administrators with previously unavailable actionable insights to support student success.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small mission driven startup with financial backing from leading investors who share our vision. We are ramping up to respond to high demand from stakeholders across the education marketplace. We work with educators, schools and publishers to bring new, innovative capabilities and workflows over digital content.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
In this role, you will take ownership of a specific sales quota within a territory and will be responsible for working accounts from qualified leads to signed deals.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Initiating the sales process through email and outbound calls
- Leading meetings with prospective customers, demoing the features and benefits of the tool, and communicating the value proposition
- Building rapport with contacts
- Overcoming objections from prospective customers
- Contributing information to market strategy by monitoring competitive products and feedback from accounts
- Tracking your performance toward sales goals using CRM and providing regular progress reports to Management.
- Correcting course as needed to overcome obstacles preventing achievement of goals
- Engaging deeply and directly with Hypothesis technologies to establish and maintain a working knowledge of the product
- Collaborating with a multi-functional team to generate awareness for the brand and close and support clients
This role reports to a regional Account Manager, Education.
You are someone who is able to work with customers to find what they want, create solutions and ensure a smooth sales process. You are friendly, well-spoken and ready to close the deal. You are tenacious and resilient in achieving your goals and objectives.
Skills and experience you possess:
- Agility to thrive at an early-stage company and within an evolving sales program
- Five to ten years selling technology into the education marketplace, both to instructors and institutions
- An understanding of the market trends and budgetary processes within the education marketplace
- Demonstrated success in working a sales pipeline to achieve revenue goals, preferably in the education marketplace
- Understanding of complex buying process and multiplicity of stakeholders in education technology sales
- Ability to speak to a wide range of stakeholders clearly and concisely about our product’s features and benefits
- Excellent communication skills and a level of comfort making cold calls
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems
- High fluency in using HubSpot or a comparable CRM to track progress against goals
Characteristics of success:
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset and a team-player attitude
- Tenacious, self-directed, and highly motivated
- Committed to excellence and improvement
- Strong time management and communication skills
- Proactive problem-solving skills
- Clear and effective communication with colleagues (especially important in a remote organization)
- A dynamic mindset about your work, allowing for growth and change
- Shared larger vision for a world where annotations are as common as comments, but more useful and engaging
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us what about this role intrigues you and why you think you would be a great fit for Hypothesis.
Hypothesis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.