Compliance Project Manager (Remote)
Hypothesis is seeking an experienced Compliance Project Manager to immediately join our team to function as the Project Manager for the company’s initial SOC-2 compliance and certification process. This position will report to the VP, Business Operations, but we need to bring on someone who can take ownership of these activities to accelerate the successful completion of the initial certification Type 2 process, and then help us maintain our SOC-2 Type 2 certification going forward. The individual in this role must be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset and a team-player attitude who has a proven track record of attaining business goals and objectives, while also sharing in our larger vision of a world where annotation is as common as comments, but more useful and engaging.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small mission driven startup with financial backing from leading investors who share our vision. We are ramping up to respond to high demand from stakeholders across the education marketplace. We work with educators, schools and publishers to bring new, innovative capabilities and workflows over digital content.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 17 time zones.
About the role
In this role, you will lead the development, implementation, and maintenance of our SOC2 and other compliance policies. This position will play a crucial role in helping us manage our compliance obligations and ensure our operations are conducted in a manner that meets various regulatory and policy requirements. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Lead and manage the development, implementation, and maintenance of compliance projects with a focus on SOC2 and other relevant compliance frameworks.
• Coordinate with cross-functional teams to ensure compliance policies and procedures are integrated into all facets of Hypothesis’ operations.
• Conduct regular compliance audits and assessments, identifying potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop corrective action plans for the resolution of problematic issues.
• Develop and deliver training materials to educate employees on compliance requirements and policies.
• Stay current on industry compliance standards and regulations, and update company policies as necessary.
• Communicate with external stakeholders including clients, auditors, and regulators as needed.
• Prepare compliance reports and present them to top management.
This role reports to the VP of Business Operations.
You are someone who is well organized, and demonstrates a strong attention to detail along with the ability to discover potential risks for the company.
Skills and experience you possess:
• Bachelor’s degree in Law, Business Administration, or a related field. Advanced degrees or certifications in compliance-related areas are a plus.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role, preferably in the technology or software development sector.
• Familiarity with SOC2 and/or other relevant compliance frameworks such as ISO 27001.
• Proven project management skills, with a track record of successfully managing compliance projects.
• Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills, able to effectively communicate complex compliance issues to a variety of audiences.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to navigate complex regulatory environments.
• Technical skills and experience using compliance software.
• Detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Advanced proficiency in the English language
You will be successful at Hypothesis if you:
• Are tenacious, self-directed, and highly motivated
• Are committed to excellence and improvement
• Are easy to get along with
• Have previous remote work experience
• Have strong time management and communication skills
• Have strong problem-solving skills
• Can communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues (especially important in a remote organization)
• Have an approach to your work that allows for growth and change
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your resume and a cover letter telling us why you’re a great fit for this role and what about working at Hypothesis appeals to you to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hypothesis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital or family status, veteran status, or disability. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.