To enable deeper Hypothesis integration with Canvas, your Canvas administrator will need to generate a Canvas Developer Key before Hypothesis is installed. This key will be tied to the Hypothesis credentials you create as part of the install process.
Note that deleting the Canvas Developer Key and/or creating a new Developer Key for Hypothesis will require making a corresponding new set of Hypothesis credentials and installing a new instance of Hypothesis in Canvas.
1. Navigate to Admin > Developer Keys and click on the +Developer Key button
Choose the API Key option after clicking “Developer Key”.
2. Fill out the Key Settings form
- Give the key a sensible name and provide your email address
- In the **Redirect URIs** field, add:
- Leave blank the following fields:
- **Redirect URI (Legacy)**
- **Vendor Code (LTI 2)**
- **Icon URL**
Make sure there are no extra spaces or characters copied and pasted here.
3. Click Save Key.
The ID (shown in the Details column) and Key (shown in a pop-up once you click the Show Key button) will correspond to the Canvas Developer ID and Canvas Developer Key fields in our form to generate credentials:
4. Turn the Key on.
Canvas does not turn on Developer credentials by default. Turn on your Developer Key before leaving this page.
5. This step should only be used if your institution enforces scopes on Developer Keys
The following are the API endpoints that Hypothesis requires:
Additionally, you must enable the use of Include Parameters