To enable advanced Hypothesis integration with Canvas, a Canvas administrator will need to generate a Canvas Developer Key before Hypothesis is installed.
This key will be tied to the Hypothesis credentials you create as part of the install process, and enables the following deeper integrations with Canvas:
- Access to Canvas Files for documents
- Integration with Canvas Groups
- Integration with Canvas Sections
For more detail, please see our article on the Canvas API endpoints used by the Hypothesis LMS app.
Note that deleting the Canvas Developer Key and/or creating a new Developer Key for Hypothesis will require creating a corresponding new set of Hypothesis credentials and installing a new instance of Hypothesis in Canvas.
1. Create a new Canvas Developer Key for Hypothesis
Navigate to Admin > Developer Keys and click on the +Developer Key button. Choose the +API Key option after clicking “+Developer Key”.
2. Fill out the Key Settings form
- Key Name:
- Owner Email:
- Enter an appropriate email address
- Redirect URIs (make sure there are no extra spaces or characters copied and pasted here):
- Redirect URI (Legacy):
- leave blank
- Vendor Code (LTI 2):
- leave blank
- Icon URL:
3. Click Save Key.
4. Turn the Key on.
Canvas does not turn on Developer credentials by default. Turn on your Developer Key before leaving this page.
The ID (shown in the Details column) and Key (shown in a pop-up once you click the Show Key button) will correspond to the Canvas Developer ID and Canvas Developer Key fields in our form to generate Hypothesis credentials:
5. This step should only be used if your institution enforces scopes on Developer Keys
The following are the API endpoints that Hypothesis requires (organized by category):
- Group Categories
Additionally, you must enable the use of Include Parameters