Students may also encounter a similar error: Couldn’t get the file from Canvas
The most common reasons this can happen are:
- The file associated with the assignment has been deleted from Canvas Files
- The assignment was imported using Canvas’ Course Import tool.
In either case, the solution is to re-link the PDF to the assignment. (Note that for Module Items, Canvas does not allow instructors to remove and re-attach documents. Module Items will need to be deleted and created from scratch.)
1. Confirm that the file exists in your Canvas course site
From the Canvas sidebar select Files and confirm that the PDF is available and published:
If the file is missing, you will need to upload the PDF to Canvas Files.
2. Edit the Assignment
From your Assignments page, find the assignment, click the 3 dots at the right, and select Edit:
In the Edit Assignment window, click the More Options button:
3. Re-attach the PDF to the assignment
From the Configure External Tool window, select Hypothesis:
On the next screen, click Select PDF from Canvas:
4. Save the assignment
Scroll to the bottom of the assignment page, and click the Save button to save the updated assignment.
5. Confirm that the assignment now loads successfully
If you or your students continue to see an error message accessing the assignment, you will likely need to follow our instructions to re-upload the PDF into Canvas.