Who is this guide for?
- This guide is for people with administrator-level access to their institution’s Blackboard instance.
- If you are a Blackboard user and do not have administrator access and want to use Hypothesis in an assignment, please see our article on Creating Hypothesis-enabled readings in Blackboard.
- Are you having trouble getting Hypothesis installed in Blackboard? Please contact us!
Before you install Hypothesis you may wish to review the LTI parameters we use. You can find them here.
1. Fill out our form and generate credentials
Fill out our form to provide your contact information. We will send you an email that contains the information you need to create the Hypothesis credentials (key and secret) you will need during the installation process.
The LMS Domain is the basic web address you use to access your LMS (i.e., yourschool.instructure.com).
The Email field can be any valid email address that belongs to you.
After you fill out the form, click Generate Credentials. You will see a screen that looks like this:
Don’t close this tab/window! You will need to copy and paste these credentials later in the install process.
2. Create a new LTI Tool
a. Select “LTI Tool Providers” from the Integrations menu
On the next screen, select “Register Provider Domain.
b. Set the Provider Domain
lms.hypothes.isas the domain.
- Click “Approved” for Status.
c. Enter Default Configuration
- Click “Set Globally.”
- Enter Consumer Key and Shared Secret provided in Step 1 above.
d. Enter Institution Policies
- Click “Send user data over any connection”.
- In “User Fields to Send”, click Role in Course and Name.
- Click No for the final two questions.
e. Enter Placement Information
Next to “lms.hypothes.is” click the down arrow, and then “Manage Placements”
On the following screen, click “Create Placement”.
- Label: “Hypothesis”.
- Handle: “Hypothesis”.
- Availability: select “Yes.” The app needs to be accessible to instructors and course builders.
- Type: select “Course content tool”. If you want to allow teachers to create gradable assignments, select “Allows grading”.
f. Enter Tool Provider Information
- For the Tool Provider URL, enter
- You should not need to re-enter the key and secret.
Instructors will now be able to create Hypothesis-enabled readings in their course sites.