The Hypothesis LMS app has been integrated with Blackboard’s Gradebook, making it easier to assess student annotations. The integration singles out each student’s contributions to a conversation on a document and enables instructors to enter a grade and written feedback for an annotated reading assignment.
1. Make sure to select Yes for “Enable Evaluation” when creating the assignment
Change Enable Evaluations to “Yes”.
Enter a number in Points Possible.
If you’re editing an assignment to turn on grading after the fact, the drop-down menu and grade submission will only work once students have visited the assignment after Enable Evaluations is turned on.
2. Launch the assignment after students have annotated
When you launch the assignment, you will see the grading toolbar at the top of the screen:
From here you can:
- Toggle between a student’s annotations and the whole class, to see each student’s work in context and by itself
- See how many annotations each student created (including replies)
- Enter a grade, which will be sent to the Blackboard Grade Center
3. Select a student to display only their annotations
When you use the arrows to cycle through the class list or select a student’s name from the dropdown, you will see only the annotations of the selected student:
In the picture below, the student “Michael DiRoberts_PreviewUser” is selected, and so only the annotations made by that student are displayed.
You can also click on the drop-down menu to see the list of students and select the one you want.
4. Enter and submit grades
Enter any number (out of 10) and click on “Submit Grade”. Then select a new student to continue grading.
5. Access the Blackboard Gradebook
Under Grade Center, choose Full Grade Center.
Your grades for each assignment will appear in the gradebook.