Who is this guide for?
- This guide is for individuals who want to install Hypothesis into an individual course within Sakai.
- Are you having trouble getting Hypothesis installed in Sakai? Please contact us and send us the information of your Sakai admin or your IT department. We’ll work with them to get Hypothesis installed.
Before creating a course-level install, please check and make sure your LMS administrator hasn’t already installed Hypothesis site-wide.
1. Creating a Hypothesis Key and Secret for Sakai
Fill out our form to provide your contact information. We will send you an email that contains the information you need to create the Hypothesis credentials (key and secret) you will need during the installation process.
The LMS Domain is the basic web address you use to access your LMS (i.e., yourschool.instructure.com).
The Email field can be any valid email address that belongs to you.
After you fill out the form, click Generate Credentials. You will see a screen that looks like this:
Don’t close this tab/window! You will need to copy and paste these credentials later in the install process.
2. Go to Site Info > External Tools
3. Click “Install LTI Tool”
This is usually found in the upper right corner of the External Tools page:
4. Fill Out the External Tool Form
You will be using default settings, unless otherwise indicated.
Fill out the following information:
- Tool Title: Hypothesis
- Button Text: Hypothesis
- Launch URL:
- Launch Key and Launch Secret: acquired in Step 1
- Privacy Settings: Check both boxes
- Services: Check boxes for Allow External Tool to return grades, Provide Roster to External Tool, and Allow External Tool to store setting data
If you have an option that says Allow External Tool to create grade columns, check that off as well.
The app needs access to the information granted in Privacy Settings and Services in order to create accounts and groups using the LMS roster.
The app will now be successfully installed for your course site. You may wish to consult our help article on Using the Hypothesis LMS App with Lessons in Sakai.