In D2L, it is recommended you install LTI tools at the organization level rather than on a per-course basis (you can still grant access to individual courses, departments, and schools using this approach). This article will walk you through the organization-level installation process.
You might also find the following help article useful: Using the Hypothesis LMS app for D2L.
Who is this guide for?
- This guide is for individuals who want to install Hypothesis in D2L at the organization level.
- Are you having trouble getting Hypothesis installed in D2L? Please contact us and send us the information of your Canvas admin or your IT department. We’ll work with them to get Hypothesis installed.
To install the app:
1. Creating a Hypothesis Key and Secret for D2L
Fill out our form to provide your contact information. We will send you an email that contains the information you need to create the Hypothesis credentials (key and secret) you will need during the installation process.
The LMS Domain is the basic web address you use to access your LMS (i.e., yourschool.instructure.com).
The Email field can be any valid email address that belongs to you.
After you fill out the form, click Generate Credentials. You will see a screen that looks like this:
Don’t close this tab/window! You will need to copy and paste these credentials later in the install process.
2. Installing the app in D2L
Create a New Tool Provider
From the Admin Menu, go to External Learning Tools:
In this area there are two tabs. Go to Manage Tool Providers → New Tool Provider:
Fill out the New Tool Provider form.
- Launch Point: lms.hypothes.is
- Version: Inherit Global (1.1)
- OAuth Signature Method: HMAC-SHA1
- Secret: Copy and paste from the Shared Secret field from the credentials you generated in Step 1
Next, check the box for Use custom tool consumer information instead of default. Some more form fields will appear:
- In the Key field, copy and paste the Consumer Key field from the credentials you generated in Step 1
- The Name and Description can be anything, but should be sensible (i.e., “Hypothesis” and “Collaborative annotation tool”)
- The Contact Email can be any working email address that belongs to a D2L administrator
Check the box for Allow users to use this tool provider:
For Security Settings, ensure the following boxes are checked:
- Send tool consumer information to tool provider (allows Hypothesis to associate a private group with your institution)
- Send context information to tool provider (allows Hypothesis to associate a private group with a course)
- Send LTI user ID and LTI role list to tool provider (allows Hypothesis to create unique accounts with appropriate privelges for students and instructors)
- Send user name to tool provider (allows Hypothesis generate a human-readable display name)
For more information on how the Hypothesis LMS app uses LTI parameters, see our wiki.
Make the tool provider available
Finally, make the tool provider available to the desired org unit(s) and Save and Close (or Save) the configuration:
Instructors will now be able to create Hypothesis-enabled readings in their course sites.