Who is this guide for?
- This guide is for Moodle administrators who want to install Hypothesis across their entire installation.
- If you do not have administrator access and want to install Hypothesis in your course, please see our guide to installing Hypothesis in a Moodle course.
- Are you having trouble getting Hypothesis installed in Moodle? Please contact us!
Before you install Hypothesis you may wish to review the LTI parameters we use. You can find them here.
1. Creating a Hypothesis Key and Secret for Moodle
Fill out our form to provide your contact information. We will send you an email that contains the information you need to create the Hypothesis credentials (key and secret) you will need during the installation process.
The LMS Domain is the basic web address you use to access your LMS (i.e., yourschool.instructure.com).
The Email field can be any valid email address that belongs to you.
After you fill out the form, click Generate Credentials. You will see a screen that looks like this:
Don’t close this tab/window! You will need to copy and paste these credentials later in the install process.
2. Go to Site Administration
3. Go to Manage Tools
Follow this navigation: Plugins → External tool → Manage tool
5. Fill out the tool configuration form
Fill in the following parameters:
- In the Tool Name field, type
- The Tool URL is
- For the Consumer Key and Shared Secret fields, enter the credentials you generated in Part 1— Make sure to put each of these codes in the correct field, and that you don’t copy any extra spaces or characters!
While not required, selecting “New window” in the field For Default launch container will maximize the space given to the original text and annotation pane (avoiding an iFrame).
Also optional, you can use the Hypothesis icon rather than the default Moodle external tool icon by entering the following in the Secure icon URL field:
Under Privacy you must select Always for Share launcher’s name. This enables the Hypothesis LMS app to create an account with a recognizable username for the user.
For more on the LTI parameters used by the Hypothesis LMS app please see this wiki.
The rest of the parameters can be left or changed later if needed.
Click Save changes when finished.
To create an assignment in Moodle using Hypothesis, see our guide Creating Hypothesis-enabled readings in Moodle.