Who is this guide for?
- This guide is for instructors who want to install Hypothesis in a Moodle Course.
- If you are a Moodle admin and want to install Hypothesis across your Moodle installation, please see our guide to installing Moodle across an installation.
- Are you having trouble getting Hypothesis installed in Moodle? Please contact us and send us the information of your Moodle admin or your IT department. We’ll work with them to get Hypothesis installed.
Before creating a course-level install, please check and make sure your LMS administrator hasn’t already installed Hypothesis site-wide.
1. Creating a Hypothesis Key and Secret for Moodle
The LMS Domain is the basic web address you use to access your LMS (i.e., yourschool.instructure.com).
The Email field can be any valid email address that belongs to you.
After you fill out the form, click Generate Credentials. You will see a screen that looks like this:
IMPORTANT: Save this Key and Secret somewhere permanent, as the credentials are needed each time you create a Hypothesis-enabled assignment.
To eliminate the requirement for entering the credentials for each new assignment, have an administrator install the app site-wide for you.
2. Turn editing on
3. Add an activity or resource
4. Select “External tool” and click “Add”
5. Click the “+” sign to add a preconfigured tool
This is only required the first time that you add the tool, not each subsequent creation of an assignment.
6. Configure the tool
Tool name: “Hypothesis”
Tool URL: https://lms.hypothes.is/lti_launches
The Consumer key and Shared secret are specific to your installation and were acquired in step “1” above.
While not required, selecting “New window” in the field Default launch container will maximize the space given to the original text and annotation pane (avoiding an iFrame).
Under Privacy – Share launcher’s name with tool you must select “Always”. This enables the Hypothesis LMS app to create an account with a recognizable username for the user.
For more on the LTI parameters used by the Hypothesis LMS app please see this wiki.
The rest of the parameters can be left or changed later if needed.
7. Click Save changes
This will return you to the Activity creation workflow.
Note: After you’ve installed the tool once, it will appear in the Preconfigured tool dropdown:
Save and return to course if you are not ready to create an Hypothesis-enabled document.
Save and display if you are ready to make a Hypothesis-enabled document. From this point you can skip directly to “Enter activity name” in our guide to Creating Hypothesis-enabled readings in Moodle.