Who is this guide for?
- This guide is for instructors who want to install Hypothesis into an individual course.
- If you are a Canvas admin and want to install Hypothesis at the Account or Sub-Account level, please see our Canvas Administrator Guide.
- Are you having trouble getting Hypothesis installed in Canvas? Please contact us and send us the information of your Canvas admin or your IT department. We’ll work with them to get Hypothesis installed.
Before creating a course-level install, please check and make sure your LMS administrator hasn’t already installed Hypothesis site-wide.
The Canvas App Center makes installation of LMS apps simpler for Canvas users. To install the Hypothesis LMS app from the Canvas App Center:
1. Access the App Center through your Settings page
In the Course or Account navigation menu, click on Settings:
On the Settings page, click on Apps in the top menu:
2. Search for the Hypothesis app
Use the search box to find the Hypothesis app. Please note: Due to Canvas’ search functionality, you must search for “Hypothesis”, not “Hypothes.is”.
Click on the Hypothesis logo to see the app details page, then click the +Add App button:
3. Creating a Hypothesis Key and Secret for Canvas
Fill out our form to provide your contact information. We will send you an email that contains the information you need to create the Hypothesis credentials (key and secret) you will need during the installation process.
The LMS Domain is the basic web address you use to access your LMS (i.e., yourschool.instructure.com).
The Email field can be any valid email address that belongs to you.
The Canvas Developer ID and Canvas Developer Key fields are optional, but if you do not provide them now, you won’t be able to turn on the Canvas File Picker integration for your Hypothesis credentials later. Instead, you’ll need to delete the Hypothesis app and fill out this form again.
Your school’s Canvas administrator can provide you with a Developer Key and Secret. You can direct them to this article to learn how to create a Canvas Developer Key and Secret.
After you fill out the form, click Generate Credentials. You will see a screen that looks like this:
Don’t close this tab/window until the install process is complete!
Go back to your Canvas tab. Enter the Consumer Key and Shared Secret— Make sure to put each of these codes in the correct field, and that you don’t copy any extra spaces or characters!
Click Add App.
You should see a pop-up banner confirming that the app has been installed successfully.
The Hypothesis LMS app can be used in two places in Canvas: in Modules or as part of an Assignment. You may wish to consult:
- Using the Hypothesis LMS App with Modules in Canvas
- Using the Hypothesis LMS App with Assignments in Canvas