1. Under Assignments, click “Assignment”
2. Name your assignment, and in the “Select An Assignment Type” drop down, choose “Homework”
3. In the “Learning Tool” drop down, select “Hypothesis”
4. Set up grading information if you’re using it, and then click Save.
5. Click on the assignment item you just created and then launch Hypothesis.
6. Configure your Hypothesis assignment.
You will have the option to enter a publicly-viewable URL (See Step 6A) or to add a PDF from Google Drive (See Step 6B). The screen will look like this:
Note: This process will change the privacy of the selected Google Drive file to “Anyone with the link can view,” creating a publicly-viewable URL for the document. However, the document URL will not be shared with anyone outside your course and cannot be easily discovered.
On the “Select web page or PDF” screen, click the button that says Select PDF from Google Drive:
You will be asked to authorize a Google account:
Next, you’ll be able to search for and select a file, or upload a new one. Click on the file you want to use and then click Select:
PDFs must have optically recognizable text in order to be annotatable in the Hypothesis app. If you can select text in the PDF, no further action is needed. If you can’t select text in the PDF, you’ll need to follow our instructions for how to OCR-optimize a PDF.
After selecting the URL or PDF for your assignment, you may need to refresh the page, or close and re-open the assignment, before you can start annotating.