Who is this guide for?
- This guide is for instructors who want to install Hypothesis into an individual course without using the Canvas App Center.
- If you are a Canvas admin and want to install Hypothesis at the Account or Sub-Account level, please see our Canvas Administrator Guide.
- Are you having trouble getting Hypothesis installed in Canvas? Please contact us and send us the information of your Canvas admin or your IT department. We’ll work with them to get Hypothesis installed.
Before creating a course-level install, please check and make sure your LMS administrator hasn’t already installed Hypothesis site-wide.
1. Creating a Hypothesis Key and Secret for Canvas
Fill out our form to provide your contact information. We will send you an email that contains the information you need to create the Hypothesis credentials (key and secret) you will need during the installation process.
The LMS Domain is the basic web address you use to access your LMS (i.e., yourschool.instructure.com).
The Email field can be any valid email address that belongs to you.
If you would like to use files that you have uploaded to your Canvas course site with the app, you will need to provide a Canvas Developer Key and Canvas Developer Secret. A Canvas admin from your school should be able to provide this information. You can direct your Canvas admin to our help article on creating Canvas Developer Credentials for the Hypothesis LMS App.
After you fill out the form, click Generate Credentials. You will see a screen that looks like this:
Don’t close this tab/window! You will need to copy and paste these credentials later in the install process.
2. Accessing your Course Settings Page
Navigate to the desired course site and go to your course Settings. You can usually find a link to the Settings page in the left sidebar of your course site:
On the Settings page, click on Apps in the top menu:
Click View App Configurations and then Add App in the upper right corner:
A window with configuration options will pop up.
3. Adding the Hypothesis App
From the Configuration type drop-down, select By URL:
The Add App screen should now look like this:
- In the Name field, type Hypothesis
- For the Consumer Key and Shared Secret fields, enter the credentials you generated in Part 1— Make sure to put each of these codes in the correct field, and that you don’t copy any extra spaces or characters!
- The Config URL is
- Click Submit and you’ll be ready to use the Hypothesis app
The Hypothesis LMS app can be used in two places in Canvas: in Modules or as part of an Assignment. You may wish to consult: